Ohio State's Forklift and Powered Industrial Truck Safety Program applies to all staff members who operate and/or are responsible for powered industrial trucks.
Powered industrial trucks include forklifts, platform lift trucks, motorized hand trucks and other specialized industrial trucks powered by electric or internal combustion engines.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and National Fire Protection Agency (NFPA) have established rules and guidelines for the protection of workers and facilities relating to powered industrial trucks in 29 CFR 1910.178 Powered Industrial Trucks; and NFPA 505 Fire Safety Standard for Powered Industrial Trucks, including Type, Designation, Areas of Use, Conversions, Maintenance and Operations, which are incorporated into this plan.
Ohio State units that own or lease powered industrial trucks or who have employees who operate powered industrial trucks are responsible to implement the written program.
OSU Forklift and Powered Industrial Truck Safety Program
OSU Forklift and Powered Industrial Truck Safety Program (.pdf written program)
OSU Forklift Operator Evaluation Form
OSHA Forklift and Power Industrial Trucks
Ohio BWC - Safe Forklift Operation
Oregon OSHA - Forklift Operation Safety Fact Sheet
Intella - Forklift Safety Resources
OSU Employee Training
OSU Environmental Health and Safety has established a training program that can be accessed via their website. (www.ehs.osu.edu) The training curriculum is based on OSHA training recommendations.
The training is design to be a three step process:
1) on-line training session through the OSU EHS website
2) comprehensive test following the on-line session (70% correct to proceed with the final step)
3) hands – on operator proficiency evaluation
To start the Forklift Operator Training (OSU employees / students):
1) Click on this link - https://ehs.osu.edu/training
2) Cick on the Occupational Health & Safety content area.
3) Scroll down to locate the Forklift Safety Program training course and click on "Take this Course".
4) Sign in using your osu.edu login (last name.###).
5) At the end of the on-line training you will be prompted to take the quiz.
6) Once training has been completed, a list your training sessions will be listed under “My Training”.
7) Complete the operator proficiency evaluation.
For CFAES employees completing the hands – on operator proficiency evaluation contact Kent McGuire (CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator) at email@example.com or (614) 292-0588 to schedule a time.
If you have any questions, please contact Kent McGuire (CFAES Safety and Health Coordinator) at firstname.lastname@example.org or (614) 292-0588. You may also contact the OSU Environmental Health and Safety Office online at http://ehs.osu.edu/ or by phone at (614) 292-1284.
Reviewed / Updated: 10/29/20 K. McGuire